Whether you have a cat or dog, signing up for pet insurance can help make sure that your four-legged friend gets the care they need if the worst happens.
Odie is tech-forward pet insurance company that helps pet parents cover veterinary costs for accidents and injuries, as well as expenses related to routine pet care. The company provides quality and affordable coverage that allows owners to customize a plan suited their budget and pets’ needs.
Learn more about the insurer’s plans, pricing, waiting periods, and more so that you can choose the best insurance for your pet while being mindful of your budget.
Table of Contents
- About Odie Pet Insurance
- An overview of Odie Pet Insurance
- What we like about this coverage
- What could be improved
- Is Odie Pet Insurance worth it?
About Odie Pet Insurance
Odie Pet Insurance is one of the newest pet insurance companies on the market. Headquartered in Agoura Hills, California, with additional offices in NYC, the company launched in early 2020, offering Accident-and-Illness coverage for dogs and cats.
Odie insurance policies are underwritten by Clear Blue Insurance Company (A.M. Best rating A-), Clear Blue Specialty Insurance Company (A.M. Best rating A-), and PrimeOne Insurance Company (A.M. Best rating B+). Plans are administered by Norse Specialty Insurance Services Inc., which has more than 30 years of program experience and expertise.
An overview of Odie Pet Insurance review
Odie pet insurance was created to cater to modern, tech-savvy pet parents and make buying pet health insurance quick, easy, and personalized. Insurance can be purchased exclusively online via the company’s website, and customers will receive policy documents within minutes of checking out.
Pet owners also have access to a 24/7 self-service portal where they can view account information, track and manage claims, and add on multiple pets.
Odie offers a standard Accident-Only plan, a comprehensive Accident & Illness plan, and a supplemental pet wellness plan for routine care.
Accident & Illness Coverage
- Congenital and hereditary conditions
- Cancer treatment
- Chronic conditions
- Emergency care
- Diagnostic testing
- MRI, X-ray, and CT scan
- Outpatient care
- Specialist care
Odie’s robust solution includes pet dental insurance coverage for non-routine treatments, although certain limitations apply. (For instance, dogs over three years old must have their teeth cleaned under general anesthesia by a veterinarian 13 months before owners can make a periodontal disease claim.)
The Accident & Illness plan is flexible and allows you to choose from the following options:
- A reimbursement rate of 70%, 80%, or 90%
- A deductible amount of $40 - $1,000
- An annual limit of $5,000 - $40,000
Accident-Only insurance policies exclusively cover vet bills related to the treatment of unexpected injuries. Some common examples might include foreign object ingestion, broken bones, puncture wounds, burns, abrasions, snake bites, and so on.
Odie’s Accident-Only plan has less flexible terms, with a 90% reimbursement, $250 deductible, and $10,000 annual payout limit.
Routine Care Coverage
Odie Pet Insurance offers a separate pet wellness plan for an additional cost. By adding this rider onto their insurance policy, customers can save up to 50% on services such as:
- Heartworm prevention
- Heartworm test of FELV screen
- Tick/flea prevention
- Teeth cleaning
- Wellness exams
- Parasite, fecal, blood exam
- Urinalysis or ERD
Like all pet insurance companies, Odie requires a mandatory waiting period before coverage kicks in and you can file a claim for reimbursement. The timeline is:
- 14 days for illnesses
- 3 days for accidents
- 3 days for hip dysplasia
- 6 months for cruciate ligament injuries and any related conditions
Like all other pet insurers, Odie doesn’t cover pre-existing conditions. The list of exclusions also includes:
- Cosmetic procedures like ear cropping, tail docking, and declawing, unless medically necessary
- Breeding, pregnancy, and whelping
- Alternative and holistic therapy
- Behavioral therapies
- Bilateral conditions, i.e., ones that affect both sides of the body.
The cost of Odie Pet Insurance starts at $7.99 per month for cats and $9.99 per month for dogs, which is well below the average cost of pet insurance across the U.S. The company allows you to adjust the price of your policy by choosing from several different reimbursement rates, deductible amounts, and payout limits, so you can find a solution that works for your budget.
Supplemental routine care coverage through Odie pet insurance costs $305 for the entire year of benefits.
Odie offers a 5% discount on pet insurance for multiple pets.
Claims and reimbursement times
The company typically processes claims within five days and has checks mailed in one to two weeks. Reimbursement is available via direct deposit or check. Customers must submit their claims within 180 days of the vet visit via their Odie customer online account.
What we like about this coverage
- Odie Pet Insurance is among the least expensive when compared to other providers. The company’s website states that their plans are are 15% to 30% cheaper than equivalent offerings.
- There are no breed or age restrictions. You can get the best protection for any cat or dog that is seven weeks old, including mixed breeds.
- Customers can use any licensed veterinarian in the States, including emergency vet hospitals. Your pet is covered when traveling with you in the US, Puerto Rico, or Canada.
- The claims process is relatively short, taking only five business days. The company also has a 24/7 online portal that customers can use to submit claims, manage pets, and update their contact information.
- The company offers a 5% multi-pet discount and a 30-day money-back guarantee if no claims are covered.
- Customers can choose Extra Coverage to give their pets access to our additional benefits.
What could be improved
- Unlike other pet insurance companies, such as Trupanion, Spot, Pets Best, and Embrace, Odie doesn’t offer an unlimited payout limit option.
- Customers must pay out-of-pocket for prescription medication, office visits, acupuncture, chiropractic, and rehab coverage.
- Bilateral and behavioral conditions are excluded.
- The company charges a $2 transaction fee for each payment processed.
- Odie is currently unavailable for pet insurance in Alaska, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Massachusetts, and Washington.
Is Odie Pet Insurance worth it?
Odie offers customizable pet insurance plans for cats and dogs at affordable prices. With its transparent policies and openness to integrate current technology, the company is perfect for young, tech-savvy pet owners. However, because Odie is new to the market, very little information and performance feedback are available online.
Most agree that pet insurance is worth it, but not all providers are one and the same. If you are not sure whether Odie is the right choice for you and your pet, use our pet insurance comparison chart to see how this new company stacks up to leading brands side-by-side.
Pawlicy Advisor can also help you find the best pet insurance plan specific to your unique dog or cat, with customized recommendations and clear, easy-to-read breakdowns of coverage details in a matter of minutes. Our platform is always free and shows you the lowest price possible — guaranteed.