Cats are very popular pets in the United States; more than a quarter of all US households (31,896,077) own at least one, according to the AVMA. If you're one out of four of those people with a feline friend, you might be curious about how to buy cat insurance so you can save money at the vet.
However, purchasing a pet insurance policy can often feel confusing and stressful wwhen it comes to making the best decision for your animal's wellbeing and personal finances. You first need to understand how pet insurance works — and how it differs from human health insurance — before researching where and when to buy cat insurance for your pets at home.
If you've recently decided that pet insurance is a great decision for your cat and circumstances, we'll teach you how to purchase the best pet insurance plan available to you. You'll be able to rest confidently knowing you found the most value at the lowest possible price.
If you're wondering how to buy cat insurance, this is what you need to know:
- The different types of cat insurance policies
- How a cat's breed and lifestyle impacts coverage considerations
- The cost of cat insurance varies
- Pawlicy Advisor advisor offers the lowest rates on cat insurance
- Key takeaways
The different types of cat insurance policies
When you compare cat insurance policies, remember that cheaper doesn’t always mean better. Be sure to understand what you are comparing in order to prevent unexpected surprises in case you have to make a claim.
There are three main types of cat insurance policies on the market:
- Accident & Illness policies help cover the costs to diagnose and treat both accidental injuries and illnesses such as cancer treatment, hereditary conditions, congenital conditions, infectious diseases, skin issues, and so forth.
- Accident-Only policies provide basic coverage in case your pet gets hurt by a car, stray cat, or wildlife predator, to name a few examples.
- Pet wellness plans are typically sold separately but in addition to insurance policies. They're designed to offset the cost of routine care with benefit schedules that repay owners for preventive pet care costs like accinations, physical exams, flea and heartworm prevention, etc.
How a cat's breed and lifestyle impacts coverage considertions
The policy you choose will depend on your cat’s breed, lifestyle, as well as its general health and age.
For instance, purebred cats are more prone to developing certain breed-specific conditions, in which case an accident-only plan would be a poor choice.
In addition, if you have a purebred cat, it might be wise to look for a pet insurance policy that reimburses you in case your pet is lost or stolen (such as Prudent and Petplan). These pet insurance providers will also cover trip cancellation should your cat become ill, so it’s worth taking them into consideration if you are a regular traveler.
Finally, if your feline friend is old or has a pre-existing condition, you might want to look into pet insurance companies that distinguish between curable and incurable pre-existing conditions. For instance, with Embrace Pet Insurance, curable pre-existing conditions might be covered if your cat is symptom-free and treatment-free for 12 months.
The cost of cat insurance varies
According to Value Penguin, the average monthly premium for cat pet insurance is $29.16 a month, but this cost will vary across a wide range of factors.
Your cat’s breed and age will play an important role in the final price, with certain cat breeds and senior cats typically being more expensive to insure as they’re more likely to get sick. The level of coverage you choose, as well as your place of residence, will also influence the price as vet charges can be higher in certain areas (typically, vet bills in urban areas are higher compared to rural areas).
Pawlicy Advisor offers the lowest price on cat insurance
It’s always best to do some research and shop around in order to make sure you have chosen the best policy for your feline friend at an affordable price.
If you're looking for where to buy cat insurance, choose Pawlicy Advisor. Our platform offers a free pet insurance comparison tool that allows you to view policy details and rates side-by-side, highlighting key differences in pet insurance coverage and pricing. Our proprietary data allows us to recommend the best plans for your specific pet and we guarantee the lowest possible price. Once you make a decision, you can buy cat insurance directly on our site, with available customer support to answer any questions or help you through the process.
Don't forget to check for pet insurance discounts. For instance, if you own more than one cat, consider getting a multi-pet policy as this will likely be less expensive than insuring each animal individually.
- Cat insurance could prove to be invaluable in the event your feline companion gets sick or injured, giving you peace of mind that the majority of vet bills will be paid for.
- When choosing the best policy for your cat, you’ll need to take into consideration a number of factors, such as your pet’s breed, lifestyle, and age, the level of coverage you want, etc.
- Pawlicy Advisor’s comparison tool can help you compare cat insurance policies easily in a single location, by simply entering a few details about your feline friend, such as their breed and age.