Spaying is a sterilization surgery (otherwise known as desexing) that prevents female cats from giving birth to offspring. Making the decision to spay your feline friend can bring up a number of questions, including how much money a spay procedure costs.
Find The Best Cat Insurance Plan Is Pet Insurance Worth It For Cats?
In this article, we’ll discuss spay costs for cats along with the benefits this procedure offers. Click a link to jump to the information you're looking for:
- How much does it cost to get a female cat spayed?
- What affects the price of spaying a cat?
- How much does it cost to spay a cat near me?
- Is there free spaying for cats?
- What are the benefits of spaying a cat?
- Does pet insurance cover the cost of cat spaying?
- Key Takeaways
- Frequently Asked Questions
How much does it cost to get a female cat spayed?
The average cost to spay a cat is around $300. However, you could pay as little as $30 or as high as $500 depending on a number of variables.
What affects the price of spaying a cat?
the price of the procedure generally depends on a number of factors, including your location, payment method, medical history, operating facility, and more.
How much you pay for your cat’s spaying procedure will vary based on the city and state you live in. In general, veterinarians in busy urban areas charge more than those in rural areas.
Here are some location-based prices for cats under six months vs. over six months to give you a general idea of how much spaying costs near you:
- Cost of spaying a cat in New York City: $310.95 - $365.95
- Cost of spaying a cat in Los Angeles: $318.95 - $374.95
- Cost of spaying a cat in Salt Lake City: $285.95 - $335.95
- Cost of spaying a cat in Atlanta: $288.95 - $339.95
- Cost of spaying a cat in Detoit: $285.95 - $335.95
The overall cost of cat spaying surgery will also depend on your choosen payment method. Some veterinarians might offer discounts if you pay in cash. You might also pay in installments through veterinary financing or with your credit card, which could alternatively increase the total incurred cost over time.
PRO TIP: Many pet insurance policies offer supplemental wellness plans to help cover the cost of spaying a cat, implementing a microchip, and many other preventive care services.
Problems and side effects are uncommon during a spaying procedure but there is always a minor danger with any surgical operation and pets under anesthesia. Among the possible complications are anesthetic reaction, internal bleeding, post-operative infection, suture reaction, etc.
Veterinarians take precautions to prevent these risks by ordering bloodtests and screening for underlying health issues. However, if a complication occurs that requires medical or surgical treatment, the overall price might increase significantly. In these cases, pet insurance can be very valuable for minimizing financial hardship.
Over the past decade, the has been an increase in the number of places that offer animal desexing. In addition to [general care practicioners] at private veterinary practices, there are now lower-cost alternatives that provide affordable pet care to owners in need.
How much does it cost to spay a cat near me?
Depending on where you live, here's a look at the average cost of spaying at different types of facilities:
- Pivate veterinary practice - $300 to $500
- Animal shelters and rescue organizations - $50 to $150
- Mobile pop-up clinics - $60 to $80
- Low-cost clinic - $30 to $50
Lower cost doesn't necessarily mean lower quality, but low-cost clinics may not require or offer bloodwork prior to the procedure, which is essential for identifying medical conditions that could cause complications if left undetected.
Facilities that focus on high turnover may not fully sterilize surgical instruments between patients that could result in an infection, or give cats enough recovery time under supervision in post-operative care necessary for ensuring no adverse side effects develop.
Is there free spaying for cats?
Many charitable organizations provide subsidized or free spay services to individuals who qualify. Check out these ASPCA resources for a list of low-cost programs across the US, including their own free services. Do your research and get in touch with local organizations to discover a solution that works for you.
What are the benefits of spaying a cat?
The benefits of spaying a cat include:
- Protection from uterine infections and breast cancer, both of which can be life-threatening in cats
- Prevention of undesirable behaviors such as excessive howling or vocalization, spraying furniture, and roaming
- Reducing the risk of unintended pregnancies and animal overpopulation
Both indoor cats and outdoor cats should be spayed. Cats attain sexual maturity around six months of age, therefore if you don't act quickly, you can end up with a litter of kittens.
Does pet insurance cover the cost of cat spaying?
Spayng isn't typically covered by pet insurance for cats because it's considered an elective procedure. Howeveer, many providers offer supplemental pet wellness plans to offset the cost of preventive care, which may include desexing surgery.
Use Pawlicy Advisor to compare plans and wellness benefits from different pet insurance companies, so you can easily identify the best solution for your needs.
Find The Best Cat Insurance Plan Is Pet Insurance Worth It For Cats?
- Spaying your cat is a rather quick and uncomplicated surgery that provides a number of health benefits and helps keep cat populations in check.
- Traditional veterinarians charge between $300 and $500, shelters and rescues are between $50 and $150, mobile clinics cost between $60 to $80, and low-cost clinics cost between $30 to $50 for spay services. Complications during and after the procedure can also affect the price.
- Always explore other avenues of care if your budget is tight and you need the service. Pet insurance wellness plans reimburse for various routine and preventative pet care expenses including spaying and neutering.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does it cost to spay a cat at Petco?
Spaying a cat at Petco costs between $50 and $500, depending on your cat’s weight and unique needs (such as pre-surgical blood work). Follow up with your local hospital for an accurate estimate for your cat.
How much does it cost to spay a cat at PetSmart?
Depending on where you go, the cat spaying operation at PetSmart could cost anywhere from $40 to $150. PetSmart is partnered with Banfield Pet Hospitals to provide neutering and spaying procedures for pets.
Is the cost of spaying more expensive than neutering?
Yes, spay costs are higher for female cats because the desexing procedure is longer and more complicated than neutering a male cat, and females will take more time to recover, according to GoodRX. Just for comparison, the average cost of neutering a male cat is $200.